- SOURCE:Federal Census 1880 - Newport City Hall- Birth certificates of 2nd and
3rd child - Newport City Directory - Lilliput Research Services Oct 3, 2005 report
English Census - 1841 lived at Cross Leech Street, Dukinfield, Lanc, England - 5 yrs. old
William and family, Sarah and first born, Samuel, moved from England to
Newport, R.I. about 1857-9. Apparently his trade was a "shoemaker" as listed
on the birth certificate of their second born, William Henry "Milles" Barber (later
changed/recorded as William Miles Barber, see marriage certificate).
First listing of residence is (looks like [handwritten]) Sisson"s Wharf, Newport
(William Henry's birth certificate-1861),occupation shoemaker - Sarah "Sadie"
was born at 3 Milburns Court, Newport-1872, father's occupation was listed as
Newport City Directory for 1879 list William (Sr) living at 6 Willow Court,
occupation, still fisherman.
Newport City Directory also lists other "William Barbers" living in Newport
(fishermen) at the same time. William, husband of Sarah, no longer appears in federal census after 1870 but there is no death certificate listed at the Newport City Hall. (Sarah, widow, was living with her two sons and daughter at 5-6 Willow Court, Newport). It is possible William was lost at sea
and his death could not be recorded in Newport. ( No death or divorce record could be found [Bert Lippincott III Newport Historical Society])
Federal Census - 1860 - William Barber age 29 a shoemaker , wife Sarah A. age 24, and son Samual age 3 (1857) lived in Newport RI. Living in the same house was Edward W. Peabody, age 20, teamster.
Federal Census - 1870 - William Barber age 34 born in England (fisherman), wife Sarah A. age 33 (works in cotton mills) born in England and two sons, Samual age 13 (1857) born in England (works in cotton mills) and William M. age 8 born Rhode Island.
Federal Census - 1880 - William apparently died before 1880 - Sarah A was 43 yrs old (Keeping house) and two sons, Samual 23 yrs old (1857) (carriage painter) and William M. 19 yrs old ( Working in the cotton mills) and one daughter, Sarah age 7 yrs old (in school) born in RI.
Time line (Newport RI City Directory - other documents)
1859 - Barber family arrives in NY from "Stalybridge England
1871 - 2 William (pp103) fisherman Resides, Spring Wharf
Samual & William M. not listed
1879 - William & William M (pp25) fishermen Resides, 6 Willow Street
1881-2 William (pp24) fisherman Resides, 76 Spring Street (Wharf)
William M Operative (mills) Resides, Willow Ct. near Thames
Samual Painter Resides, Willow Ct. near Thames
1882 Samual & Sarah marry
1883 Florence is born
1883 William (pp40) fisherman Resides: 127 Long Wharf
William M Not listed
Samual painter Resides, 1 Coddington Bk opp Thames
1884 William (pp40) fisherman Resides: 127 Long Wharf
William M Not listed
Samual (pp41) painter Resides, 1 Coddington Bk 14 Weaver Ave
1885 -89 William (40) fisherman Resides: rear 105 Thames
Samual Not listed
1885 Phebe May is born
1890-91 William (40) fisherman Resides: rear 105 Thames
Samual painter Resides,14 Weaver Ave.
1891 Samual moves to Massachusetts
( note: There seems to be two William Barber in Newport. They both were fishermen)
The name Stalybridge comes from the old English word "staef" ( a staff or stave) and "leah", a clearing in a wood. The full meaning of "Staly" is therefore "a wood where staves are collected". The "bridge" part was added in the 19th century, when the town became an important market crossing point on the River Tame.
In earlier days, Stalybridge was sparsely populated, and for the most part made up of farmers and cottage weavers.
By 1750 there were already several mills along the Tame, powered by the plentiful supply of clean water. When Edward Hall installed the first steam engine in his mill in 1796, it was the signal for the building of many steam driven mills in the town, and it was at one time dominated by innumerable such smoke stacks - at that time Stalybridge's most predominant feature.
The impact of industrialisation saw the population rise from about 140 in 1750 to 20,760 by 1850! Its prosperity brought many civic benefits : the Police Force and Market in 1828, the Stalybridge Gas Company in 1831 which brought street lighting to the town, and a new Town Hall, also in 1831.
Stalybridge - once called 'Little Venice' because the Huddersfield Narrow Canal and River Tame run directly through the town - is surrounded by the towns of Ashton-u-Lyne, Audenshaw, Denton, Dukinfield, Droylsden, Hyde, Longdendale, and Mossley. These towns collectively form the borough known as Tameside.
With more visitors to the town in recent years due to the re-building of the Huddersfield Narrow Canal and new clubs and bars opening up in the town - a local radio station referred to the town as 'StalyVegas' - a nickname that has now become popular for the town far and wide.